Deck Construction Requirements
- A building permit is required to erect a deck, regardless of size or type.
- Decks cannot be placed over any utility and drainage easements, underground electrical
- service and septic tanks or septic fields.
- Minimum setbacks from property lines vary for each zoning classification. Please verify your property zoning and setbacks with the Community Development Department.
- Properties located in the Historic District shall first contact the Building Division to submit an application for review, approval and issuance of a Certificate of Appropriateness by the Historic Preservation Com-mission.
- Stairs require a guardrail of 34 inches high if the rise of the stairs is more that 30 inches. A graspable handrail between 34 inches and 38 inches high is required on stairs that contain more than three risers.
- A guardrail with a minimum height of 36 inches is required if deck platform is greater than 30 inches above grade.
- If deck is greater than four feet (4’) above grade, 6 x 6 inch column posts are required.
- The deck must be built exactly as shown on the approved plans for the job. Any changes must be ap-proved by the City of Batavia Building Division prior to construction.
- Check the plat of survey for actual measurements of deck and setbacks indicated.
Please see the samples below for details.
1. Submit a completed online Building Permit Application to the City of Batavia Building Division of the Community Development Department.
2. Pay required minimum submittal fee.
3. Attach two copies of the plat of survey to the application showing the location of the deck and setbacks to property lines. All utilities such as electric service, gas line, phone line, etc., must be indicated. Survey should be to scale and not reduced or enlarged when copied.
4. Attach two copies of plan and construction details. Please see the sample below.
1. Call J.U.L.I.E (Joint Underground Location for Inspectors and Engineers) at least 48 hours prior to any digging to locate any underground utilities. Dial 811 or visit www.illinois1call.com.
2. Schedule the required inspections with the Building Division of the Community Development Department for post holes, a rough framing --prior to decking installation if deck is 48 inches and less above grade -- and a final inspection at completion. Please call at least 48 hours in advance to schedule inspections.
3. Make sure the work is ready for inspection before the inspector arrives to avoid a re-inspection fee. Please cancel the inspection if the work is not ready.
4. All permits will conclude with the final inspection.
Design Factor for Decks:
40 Pound Live Load per Western Lumber Span
Spruce Pine Fir No. 2
|Center to Center 2 x 4||Maximum Span|
|12 inch||9 ft. 6 in.|
|16 inch||8 ft. 7 in.|
|24 inch||7 ft. 6 in.|
|Center to Center 2 x 8||Maximum Span|
|12 inch||12 ft. 6 in.|
|16 inch||11 ft. 4 in.|
|24 inch||9 ft. 6 in.|
|Center to Center 2 x 10||Maximum Span|
|12 inch||15 ft. 11 in.|
|16 inch||14 ft. 3 in.|
|24 inch||11 ft. 8 in.|
|Center to Center 2 x 12||Maximum Span|
|12 inch||19 ft. 1 in.|
|16 inch||16 ft. 6 in.|
|24 inch||13 ft. 6 in.|
Sample Deck Plan
Indicate dimensions / measurements where shown:
Deck Construction Drawing Examples: