Common Code Issues
Below is a summary of the ordinances in the Batavia Municipal Code that pertain to a few common issues. For complete details, visit the Batavia’s Municipal Code website, or contact the City of Batavia directly 630-454-2000.The following issues are summarized from the Batavia City Code and are not intended to be the definitive interpretation of city ordinance. This page does not represent or replace actual ordinance or code language. Refer to the referenced code for the full ordinance text.
The Batavia Municipal Code has establishes construction hours as Monday - Saturday, from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. Building permits are required for all construction. Construction that occurs without a permit will be issued a Stop Work Order and could be subject to fines and penalties.
Additionally, building materials -- used or unused—may not be stored outdoors.
Home Business Operation
Regulations regarding home businesses protect the residential character of neighborhoods. Home-based businesses should not be visibly apparent from the exterior and need to be operated entirely within the single unit and only by the person or people maintaining the dwelling unit. Commercial vehicles must be stored indoors or screened from nearby residents.
- There cannot be any signage advertising the business, or open storage of equipment.
- Other than family members residing within the dwelling unit located on the lot or parcel, no other employees can work at the dwelling.
Batavia’s Municipal Code provides ordinances intended to protect residents from excessive noise from vehicles, machinery, amplified music or performances and other sound.
Outdoor amplification of sound is prohibited from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11:30 p.m. to 8 a.m. Friday and Saturday. Animals causing a high or prolonged level of noise can be ruled a disturbance, and the animal’s owner can be charged with disturbing the peace. To report nuisance noise contact the Batavia Police Department in order for a complaint to be filed.
The City of Batavia follows the 2006 International Property Maintenance Code with amendments. These rules apply to a building’s exterior and interior conditions along with the surrounding property.
- The addresses for all buildings must be viewable from the street, and at least 4 inches high.
- All buildings and accessory structures should be kept in good repair. Peeling paint, missing siding, rotting posts and walls are prohibited by the code.
- All roofs should be kept in good repair, and not leak. Water from gutters should not be discharged into the septic or sanitary system.
- Fences should be kept in good repair. Broken or missing sections must be replaced. No permit is needed for fence repair. Fence replacement requires a permit.
- There are strict regulations regarding the discharge of sump pumps. Sump pumps cannot discharge into public streets. Sump pumps also cannot discharge into the septic or sanitary system.
Batavia has a comprehensive sign ordinance. No signs of any kind may be placed on trees or utility poles or placed in the right of way.
- Contractors working on existing homes can display a sign only while work is occurring. Signs must be removed at the end of the workday. Signs at new home construction sites must be removed once an occupancy permit has been issued.
- Signs with flashing lights or attention getting devices are prohibited.
The Batavia Municipal Code requires all vehicles on private property have a certain level of roadworthiness.
- All vehicles parked in the City of Batavia are required to display a current vehicle license tag.
- Any vehicle in non-operable condition may not be stored outdoors.
- Parking regulations, including overnight parking can be found at the Batavia Police Department.
It is not permissible to store refuse, waste or any other materials outdoors.
- Open burning of garbage is not permitted.
- Garbage is not to be placed at curbside until the day before the schedule collection, and must be at the curb by 6 a.m.
- Empty waste containers must be removed from curbside as soon as possible, but in no event no later than 8 p.m. the day of collection.
The Batavia Municipal Code addresses water conservation issues year round.
- All properties with even numbered addresses may use water for restricted purposes on even numbered days. While odd numbered addresses may use water on odd numbered days. Watering can only occur between 6 a.m. - 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Seed and sod permits are available at the city’s community development department for watering newly placed sod or seed.
Property owners should maintain their yard to prevent undesirable species, weeds or grasses. City regulations limit the acceptable height of weeds and or grasses and prohibit invasive species.
- Weeds, grasses and undergrowth are not allowed to exceed 8 inches.
- Weeds, such as jimsonweed, burdock, ragweed, thistle, cockle-bur and other similar species are a considered a nuisance and it’s unlawful to allow these weeds on your property.
- Yards should not be used for outdoor storage.